Nearly 90 guests attended the May 15 Arizona Interactive Marketing Association (AZIMA) event, “The Visual Guide to Content Marketing and Repurposing,” presented by Matt Siltala, owner of Avalaunch Media, at the Hilton Scottsdale Resort & Villas. Matt began his presentation with some eye-catching statistics supporting why the trend is going visual:
- 90% of information submitted to the brain is visual.
- Images process 60,000 times faster than text.
His informative presentation covered several social media platforms, including: Instagram: Matt shared several examples of brands that have experienced growth because they show how their products and services are being used through visual promotions, motivation, mini infographics and time-sensitive messages. Consider:
- There are 150,000,000 users on Instagram and 70% of them check it daily.
- 55 million photos are uploaded every day.
- 15 billion photos have been shared via Instagram.
Pinterest: Here’s another great platform for sharing visual content, and as Matt said, “Any industry is pin worthy.” He suggested creating a business account, not a personal one, and like Instagram, show how people are using products. He said most people make the mistake of not tying in their Pinterest account to their other marketing efforts and emphasized the importance of sharing your best performing pins on Twitter, Facebook and Google+ as well as adding a “Pin It” button to your website. These stats illustrate the power of Pinterest:
- 62% of brands have “Pin It” buttons, compared to 61% of brands with tweet buttons and 59% of brands with Facebook ‘Like’ buttons.
- 70,000,000 users, of which more than 80% are female.
- 80% of pins are re-pins (best image size is 600 x 800 pixels). Use tall images to get more re-pins.
- 78 cents in sales/pin on average, up 25% from 2012.
Matt also spent time sharing tips and statistics regarding Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Reddit. To hit home the fact that the trend is going visual, he shared these overall stats:
- 6 billion photos are uploaded each month on social media platforms.
- Photos and images get 50% more interaction than other content and 10 times more shares than links.
- Videos on landing pages increase page conversion rates by 90 percent.
- 60% of consumers are more likely to click on a business whose images appear in search results.
Throughout his presentation, Matt sprinkled in generous doses of humor, even sharing a photo of AZIMA’s past president, Arnie Kuenn, in a Santa Claus suit. He ended his presentation with a list of tools we can use as well as tips for standing out, such as becoming a better writer, thinking like a journalist, and sharing insights and information, such as trends and case studies. He also emphasized the importance of repurposing successful content into blog posts, news releases, Linkbait articles, infographics, video, podcasts, images/memes, white papers and PowerPoint presentations. And don’t forget to utilize all of your social media assets!
Matt was kind enough to share his presentation – You can view it here.
Special thanks to Matt for opening our eyes to a visual trend that can’t be ignored! Join AZIMA on Thurs., June 19 to hear Eric Kingsbury’s presentation, “How eBay Enterprise Uses Commerce Data to Design and Deliver Targeting Online Advertising.”
We encourage you to learn more about AZIMA and contact one of our board members with any questions!
(Photos by Christi Gardner.)